I was trying to think of a catchy title for this post, to more aptly describe this dress. “The camera adds 10 pounds, and so does this dress!” or just simply “Ho Hum”.
I blame the fabric.
Back in 2011 when this pattern first came out, I bought this seersucker fabric specifically for this pattern. Now, I’m thinking it looks too much like pajamas, definitely not like the pattern picture. I liked the idea of this fabric more than the actual result. Hate it when that happens.
I’ll make this again, it’s very easy. The only fit alteration I made was to sew up the shoulder seams with an inch allowance (sewing up my usual size 12).
To construct this dress, I decided to stick with the pattern directions, and used the neck facing pattern pieces.
I don’t usually use pattern facing pieces but for this dress, I felt it would help to stabilize the narrow shoulder straps, as well as finish the arm holes nicely. If you notice, the the front shoulders are almost completely on the bias, pulled in by the neck pleating.
The back facing is nice and big, making a nice back stay. Recognize what I did with the hanging edge? I sewed the interfacing to the lining at the unfinished edge, turned then fused the pieces together. I love that technique!
The other thing I did was sew up some strips of selvage at the pocket opening.
As much as I love pockets in dresses, I’ll not add them on the next one. There’s enough extra fabric at the hip area already.
UGH! This fabric! I don’t think it’s quite my color. Or, perhaps it has too much of an 80’s vibe (in my high school, pinstripes were all the rage, even the jeans had pinstripes, ugh, but I digress). Maybe It would look much better made up in a nice shirt!
Here’s what it looks like unbelted.
Paired with a cardigan, not too bad. We’ll see if I change my mind on this after it sits for a while in my closet.
grumble grumble grumble……