It’s been ages since I made myself an Easter outfit, but when I saw the new Kay Unger pattern, I thought “why not”? I found some pretty brocade at Fine Fabrics in Atlanta and got a great result!
What possessed me to do an Easter dress with so little time? I spent so much time on the coat that I had no time left for the dress…like sewn in 24 hours.
I love the dress…a simple sheath in the front, party in the back.
So, first the coat. This is a very cute, very simple princess seam 3/4 length sleeve lined coat with cute details.
Bound button holes
Pocket and sleeve tab details as well as topstitching. These details come straight from the instructions.
For the dress, I cut a 12 arm/upper chest, but a 14 side seam. I liked the fit better
Construction for the dress was a hack job due to time constraints, but you can get the idea.
Probably the hardest thing about construction is sewing these curves and sharp corners. I was in quite a hurry so you can see my piecing is not perfect, but oh well.
There are some really lovely details underneath…again, piecing wasn’t perfect. And, yes, it’ll bug me until I fix it
I really do love the fit, very comfortable.
Yes, it was a windy day!
I recommend you at least tissue-fit the dress (if you’re like me and don’t enjoy making muslins). The pattern photo shows the hem of both coat and dress to be very similar in length. This was not the case on me. Here, I added 2 inches to the hem of the DRESS. It’s still really short for me (I’m 5’4”).
I can see me making this again and again. A lovely linen, or even a wool would be beautiful!