Burda Style 5-2010-111
Garment #1 of my wardrobe was completed just this week. I remember when this issue came out, this dress didn’t catch my attention. I reeeeaaaallly hate tracing Burda patterns, but I do like the way they fit.
I used a lot of resources for help on this dress.
Perfect pocket flaps are thanks to Pam’s great tutorial at Off The Cuff. Thank you so much, Pam!!
The center front plaquet turned out very nice, thanks help from David Coffin’s book Shirtmaking I couldn’t understand the instructions from the magazine. At. All.
The sleeve plaquet is done in the continuous bias bound method. The only place I’ve found instructions for this is in any Heirloom Sewing book by Martha Pullen. I considered adding a separate plaquet piece using David Coffin’s method, but the denim was a bit bulky for that technique. I found that out when I did the center plaquet.
A little added fun, a contrasting fabric for the collar stand. I still need to clip threads and add another snap!
With the same cotton, I lined the pockets, just for fun.
The pattern is more of an A-line shaped dress, and I wanted mine to be straight. I took the side seams in an inch on each side, tapering to the original seam line right at the under arm. I also nipped in the waist at the side seams. For the pockets and flaps, I drafted my own. I didn’t want the pleated ones that the pattern showed. The fabric is a heavy stretch denim from my stash. I traced and cut a size 40, which is my usual size in Burda. I could have gone with a smaller size, but I think the original pattern was meant to be made up in a light weight shirting fabric and be blousy and loose. I curved the hem for more of a shirt look, but it’s not real noticeable in the pictures. I used snaps because a) I didn’t want to do buttonholes and b) I didn’t have 9 matching buttons. Those snaps are great! I highly recommend The Snap Source for any snaps or tools; best product ever.
This is a very cute dress, I’m glad it’s finished! Pics of me in it later!